The start of the New Year is quickly approaching, and for many this can mean the start of a new gym, new goals, and most importantly, a new diet. In our efforts to combat the holiday weight gain and start the New Year with a new lifestyle, we dive head first into changing up our food selections, portion sizes, and supplementing with proteins.
One of the first steps to changing up our diet can be changing up or increasing our protein sources; or in terms for this blog – determining which type of protein to supplement with.
When deciding to supplement with protein you want to stick with a manufacturer that adheres to high quality standards for its products. Unfortunately the market is saturated with supplemental protein and consumers are a bit lost when it comes to what is the right choice for them. Keep in mind that not all proteins are created equal.
ABOUTTIME is a brand superior to others without resorting to artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners. You can trust the products ingredients and the integrity of the labels. AT also offers a wide variety of protein options to suit taste, dietary, and digestibility preferences.
Now it’s time to determine which type of protein product you are looking for – whether it be the classic whey protein isolate, micellar casein, or vegan options.
Let’s summarize the pros and cons of multiple protein types including cost, taste, mixability, and a whole host of other important information you need to know when picking out your protein.
Is the most common protein researched and available on the market. It is utilized for its fast digestibility and “complete” amino acid profile. Whey protein has two sub-types (1) whey protein concentrate (WPC) and (2) whey protein isolate (WPI). Whey protein is a by-product of the cheese manufacturing process and used to be waste material until studies concluded that whey served a nutritional need.
Whey Protein Concentrate has two main types WPC34 and WPC80 whereby the numbers (34 and 80) represent the percent of protein in the product. For example WPC80 means 80% of the product comes from protein and the other 20% comes from fats and carbohydrates. The higher the protein content of a WPC, typically the higher the price point of the product.
Whey Protein Isolate means strictly 90% of the product is protein with 10% of the remaining product coming from fats and carbs. WPI is significantly more expensive than WPC, however you are getting more protein per serving. In fact, some manufactures, like ABOUTTIME, have been able to create a finished product of WPI that contains 0g of fats and 0g of carbs. This is often important to the consumer who wishes to use protein for specific dietary goals.
MICELLAR CASEIN PROTEIN:
Is a “time released” protein featured in many blends for its known characteristic of having a slower digestion than other animal-based protein supplements. It is often marketed in a “night time”/ recovery protein due to the slower digestion and absorption by the body. These are typically much grittier in texture than whey proteins.
This is a growing marketing among the protein industry and even customers who are not vegetarian or vegan are still looking into plant-based proteins for digestibility and nutrition profile. Plant-based proteins make up now about 20% of the protein supplement market. Example of proteins in this category include:
- Brown Rice
Since many animal-based proteins are also milk-based people with lactose intolerance as also utilizing plant-based powders to reach their protein needs. Plant-based proteins (with the exception of soy) are also allergen free. They can also be less expensive than the whey-based proteins. A con to using plant-based proteins is most on their own (without being blended) are not considered to have a “complete amino acid” profile. Additionally these are often grittier in texture and do not mix as well as whey proteins.
In summary there are multiple options to fit your new diet plan and new goals in the new year. ABOUTTIME is happy to share their expertise and help you choose the right blend and flavorings for you. If you ever have questions regarding a product you can speak directly with a consumer service representative by calling 1-866-982-WHEY (9439).
For more details on specific protein types – particular the different varieties of plant-based proteins check out this previous blog
And to help you determine your specific protein needs for your age, goals, and/or sport check out this previous blog