Wednesday Recipe – Creamy Artichoke Dip with Spinach
Author: Rachael Bryant / Nourish: The Paleo Healing Cookbook
Serves: 1¾ cups
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup (45 g) diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (120 g) peeled summer squash
- ¾ cup Chicken Broth
- 6 oz (170 g) drained jarred artichoke hearts
- 2 tbsp (8 g) nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 6 oz (170 g) package of frozen spinach, thawed
- SOFTEN: Add the oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic to the pan while you peel and chop the summer squash. Cut the summer squash into pieces that are the same size as the diced onion, then add to the pan and stir to coat with the oil. Cook until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally so the squash doesn’t brown, about 10 minutes.
- BLEND: Transfer the softened vegetables to a blender and add the chicken broth. Gently squeeze the artichoke hearts to release any excess water before you weigh them out. Add the artichoke hearts, nutritional yeast and mace to the blender – process until you have a thick, smooth, “creamy” sauce.
- SIMMER: Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and return to the stove top at a low heat. Drain the spinach and squeeze out any excess water, then chop finely. Stir the frozen spinach into the sauce and simmer until the dip is warmed through. The dip probably won’t need any additional salt because of the artichoke hearts, but taste now and add any extra salt if you wish. Serve the dip warm and enjoy.