- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, About 3 cups
- 6 ounces Cremini mushrooms, quartered, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup whole grain quinoa
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 ounces plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 scoop About Time unflavored protein
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil-melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the barley and cook until al dente, 8 minutes. Add quinoa and cook another 5 minutes. Drain well.
Heat 3/4 T coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in the drained quinoa- barley mixture. Add 2 cups broth, cover and cook until the rice and barley are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
While the quinoa-barley mixture is cooking with the broth, saute the asparagus and mushrooms in a pan with 3/4 T coconut oil until the vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes. Add vegetables to the Quinoa-Barley mixture. Remove Quinoa-Barley mixture from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, Greek yogurt, protein and Parmesan until melted and creamy. Sprinkle with chives and zest.
Total Fat 9.5g
Approved by Sean Marszalek CEO SDC Nutrition, Inc