This is slightly controversial because many will argue that consuming caffeine before a workout isn’t safe. So before I go on about how much I love caffeine pre-workout I’ll cover the negative arguments:
- – It can have a diuretic effect, which can lead to cramping if you aren’t well hydrated
- – It can increase heart rate (so if you already have a high heart rate or are not well conditioned this is probably a bad idea for you)
- – It can make you nauseous, have difficulty breathing, cause anxiety, and make you jittery. So if you are very sensitive to caffeine, pre-workout is probably not a good time to consume it, if ever.
Now that that’s out of the way let’s talk about why some folks like myself, love it.
- – It stimulates the nervous system so it will increase mental focus, energy production and acuity.
- – According to Preworkout.com, ” It reduces reaction time to physical and visual stimuli, increases the heart and respiratory rates, and may decrease symptoms of depression. The level of stimulation varies depending on several factors, including the amount used, the level of tolerance a person has to caffeine (as seen with habitual caffeine users), metabolism, and other drug use. The increased energy and focus could certainly benefit the athlete going into a strenuous workout. There are some side effects to consider, however.”
So whether you want to take it is a personal choice. How you want to get it and how much you want to take depends on your preference as well, though over 200mg is not recommended for anyone!
I love having a coffee before my workout. So I do have a couple of shakes that you can make here to get your pre-workout protein, carbs AND caffeine!! Here you go…
The Get In Shape Girl