Here are my top five items you MUST have to successfully batch cook every week! And no, time is not on that list :)
1. Tupperware. Some folks like glass. I like the ones that come from the dollar store. Either way, you need a lot of tupperware in all different shapes and sizes. I like the flat, square ones for my chicken and vegetables and your basic leftovers. I prefer the rectangular, deeper sizes for my oats. And I like small cups for smaller portions like sweet potato or fruit. Whether you prefer glass or plastic, make sure it’s clear, dishwasher and microwave safe!
2. Food scale. You absolutely must measure your foods to know your portion sizes. A food scale will tell you if you’ve got the 3.5 ounces you need or if your eyes are bigger than your stomach (or the size you envision it to be.) No guestimating – no eyeballing – you gotta be point point and the food scale will help you out!
3. Measuring cups. You can’t always weigh your portions – sometimes you need to scoop out the right amount. For example if your portion is 1/4 of oatmeal or 1/2 cup of brown rice. Having all of the measuring cups on hand is vital to getting the portions right.
4. George Foreman grill. I had never owned one of these until last year, the night I was prepping my food to leave for my show, my oven and stove stopped working, and it was too cold to grill outside. So I borrowed a George Foreman grill and it was a life-saver! You can cook turkey burgers, veggies and all of your chicken on this thing in just a few minutes!
5. Lunch bag. What’s the point of prepping all your food if you can’t bring it with you? I bought a hot pink lunch bag from Target for $1. But some folks swear by their Six Pack Bag. Even if you just use the Lulu Lemon bag you got yesterday when buying your Scuba Hoodie it’s all good!